Join the Residential Landlords Association

What Is A House In Multiple Occupation (An HMO)?


What constitutes a house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a source of frustration and confusion for landlords and agents across the country. There a number of different rules that landlords have to follow where the property is a house in multiple occupation, particularly if it is licensed.

Once the property has been identified as a HMO, landlords and agents need to know whether the property requires a licence and, if so, what type of licence is required.

The purpose of this guide is to provide landlords and agents with a primer on how to identify a house in multiple occupation and what type of licence may be required.

The rest of this guide is exclusive content for people who have registered their details on our website. It contains comprehensive guidance on –

Members and Guests Only

Login to access this guide.

Log into your RLA Account

Join the RLA

Get full access to over 130 Documents and Guides

Enter as a Guest

Get reduced access to some Documents and Guides.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions