Join the Residential Landlords Association

Rentguard insurance FAQs

What property types do you cover?

Our policies cover rental accommodation of all sizes, including houses, flats, shared accommodation (HMOs) and bedsits.

Do you cover landlords with student tenants?

Yes, we cover landlords who let to student tenants as well as properties with tenants of independent means, tenants that receive benefits, UK holiday lets and asylum seekers.

Can a landlord insurance policy cover more than one property?

Yes, this kind of insurance is known as portfolio insurance (multi-property insurance). It enables landlords to insure multiple properties under a single schedule and easily managed single payment method.

You can add or remove any new or existing properties on a pro-rata basis as and when you require and as all properties are held under one annual renewal date renewing your block couldn’t be easier. Insuring your properties in this way could also result in significant premium savings.

Can you cover landlords' contents insurance only?

Yes. Customers have the choice to cover either the buildings or contents or both combined under our landlords insurance policy. These policies come with public liability as standard.

Is my bathroom covered within buildings insurance?

Yes. All fixed items such as baths & sinks are generally covered under the buildings insurance and would be covered as standard within our landlord insurance policy.

Are my kitchen units covered under the buildings insurance?

Fitted kitchen units would be covered under our buildings insurance, however, movable items - such as fridges, microwaves etc - would be covered within our contents insurance.

Can I cover the rent if the tenant stops paying?

Yes, with our Legal Expenses and Rent Guarantee Insurance - you are covered for rent defaults by the tenant under the tenancy agreement.

Cover provided is up to £3,000 per month to a maximum of £18,000 or for six months, whichever is the lesser amount. You will also receive cover for advisors costs up to £25,000.

Can you also insure shops and offices?

Yes, please visit the Commercial Property Insurance section of our website for full details.

Who are your underwriters?

Our products are underwritten by leading UK insurers, including Legal & General, Ageas, Brit Insurance, XL Catlin, NIG, Novae, certain underwriters at Lloyds and Zurich.

Am I still covered if my property is unoccupied?

Yes, depending on which policy you choose we cover a period of 30 days of unoccupancy between tenancies, you should notify the insurer for periods longer than this. Please check the key facts and policy wordings before purchase or speak to our customer services on 0333 000 0169 if you are in any doubt.

RLA Insurance is operated exclusively for the RLA by Rentguard Limited. Rentguard Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England No. 9125814.

Please note that any contract for the supply of goods/services will be made between you and the provider of the goods/services; not with the Residential Landlords Association Limited or any of its associated companies. The RLA has no liability in relation to any contract entered into by you as the RLA only acts as an introducer.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions